Finding a Voice

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

birthday party

Had a wonderful party on Saturday evening. Invited about 40 friends (including coworkers & students). After sending out an email to that many people I realized that I didn’t want a huge party, but couldn’t exactly uninvite people, so secretly wished (and half prayed) that it would end up small, and it did! About 10 people came to a friend’s house. One guest emailed this afterwards:

Thank you for inviting me to come last night. It was so good to be there. Good food, good atmosphere, good company. (So many good things!) So good to be with people who love to talk and to be with each other and who love food.

It seems a a little silly to make such a big deal about people who love food . . . but it's important to me in a way that I don't know I can explain. Many of the people I know who love food are also people who love life. They taste and savour and enjoy and anticipate and celebrate life . . . in much the same way that they taste,savour, enjoy, anticipate, and celebrate food. But even that explanation is only a part of the importance of food. Somehow I feel that there is deeper meaning to food than I can express . . . (shrug)

Anyway, it was good to be with you last night, even if just for a short while. My soul has been fed. You have a delightful group of friends, Colleen. It was a priviledge to be among them.

I was happy to assure her that it’s not silly! And to lend her Margaret Visser's book, Much Depends of Dinner.

It's true ... I do have a delightful group of friends and it was a privilege to be among them.
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 10:14 PM

1 Comments:

Colleen! A song feast! Fabulous.

March 17, 2005 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home