Finding a Voice

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

my dad

My dad had a heart attack on Friday. A clot busting medication dissolved the clot and saved his heart from extensive damage.

He had an angioplasty on Saturday. They installed a stint, which is much like a spring from a clicker pen. Did you know that they typically get to the heart through a large artery in the inner thigh? Imagine!

My brother Jeff and I drove up (separately) on Sunday and visited with dad for a few hours. I didn't think I would go, but during church was overwhelmed by the desire to go. I hadn't even packed a toothbrush.

After visiting hours, Jeff & I had a lovely dinner with mom at Alexander's across the street from the university. Great food, great art on the walls. A couple of my cousins worked there when they were university students.

Stayed in a hotel with mom, the Park Town. On Friday night she had stayed in a decent motel in a rather seedy, rowdy area, but didn't really want to pay much more than $60.00 The map had several hotels marked on it, so I called the closest one, the Park Town, to inquire about rates and they asked if we were in town for any particular reason. "Well, my dad's in the hospital," I replied. The employee told me their medical rate was $72.95. Well, who knew! So, we stayed just across the bridge from the hospital in a lovely, quiet room and had a nice visit. I left by 8:00 the next morning to get to work around 11:00.

Dad is going to be fine. He may need further medical interventions (unless maybe he loads up on glyconutrients!) and he'll need to make some lifestyle changes, but otherwise he'll be fine. So relieved.

Glad I went up. Very glad.
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 10:32 PM

1 Comments:

Colleen - so good to visit with you here. What are you doing Saturday? I to go to MJ for some girl time.

:) Rachel

March 18, 2005 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home