Finding a Voice

Saturday, January 21, 2006

my dad's heart again

A week ago on Thursday my dad learned two things:
(1) that he was on the waiting list for by-pass surgery,
(2) and a spot had come open for Monday.

So 5 days ago he had double by-pass surgery.

Phone message from Mom
Monday evening, after 11:00 pm

Just got back from the hospital. I was only able to get in to see dad for about 5 minutes, so I haven’t seen him too much here, but he was awake and able to open his eyes for a little bit. Couldn’t keep them open yes or no. So I’m probably going to sleep for a few hours and then go back. I won’t wait till morning probably, but I’ll go back a little sooner. I didn’t sleep too good last night anyway, so I probably won’t do it tonight either. Anyway, I’ll be here for a little hwile, and I’ll phone you tomorrow, probably at work or something.

On Tuesday I called Robert & Lorrie's place, where Mom was staying in Saskatoon. Lorrie returned my call. Here's her phone message:
Tuesday, 5:30 pm

I haven’t talked to your mom since first thing this morning at about 9:00 when she got back from the hospital. Martin had a pretty good night. I don’t know how good a day he had, hopefully he rested enough. They actually had him up a little tiny bit before the 9:00, probably just sitting on the side of the bed, but I’m not real sure. He wasn’t able to keep any food down yet, but that’s pretty soon after the surgery. He tried to keep water and that didn’t stay down either. However, he has talked to your mom a bit, so I know that part is good, and we should get some news a bit later. I don’t expect your mom here until late, but she may call. So you have a good evening and if I hear any more I’ll give you a call back.

Phone message from Mom
Tuesday, 9:20 pm

Just returning your call. Martin got out of intensive care and into observation today. He’s not doing too bad, he’s feeling a little nauseated, but I guess that’s normal too after surgery. So he was just feeling not real 100% when I left tonight, but hopefully he’ll have a good night’s sleep. And I won’t be going up till after lunch tomorrow—the visiting hours starts at 2:00. So I’ll let you know by tomorrow evening again how things are going.

Dad had a pretty rough day on Wednesday -- heart rate too high, blood pressure too low. But they got it under control, thankfully.

Phone message from Mom
Thursday afternoon

Mom here, quarter after one on – I think it’s Thursday, losing track of time here! Anyway, I’m going to be going up to the hospital after a bit, visiting hours starts at 2:00. Tried your office but you weren’t home so I thought I’d just leave a message. Martin got moved to a regular ward today, I guess they got his heart settled down. The nurse thought he would possibly get out tomorrow, and if not tomorrow then possibly the next day. Anyway, I’ll maybe touch base with you tonight, but just wanted you to know that he’s in a regular ward now. Talk to you later.

Friday, 10:19 pm

Mom calling, it’s Friday night and it’s quarter to nine. Just wanted to let you know that we brought Martin home this afternoon and we’ve got him tucked into bed here. Dad—Grandpa—is staying out a Linda and Glenn’s and we’re sleeping in his bed so that Martin doesn’t have to use the stairs. So anyway, you can give us a call when it works out for you. Talk to you later. Bye-bye.

So Dad is home now. I called a few minutes ago and my Aunt Marilynn & Uncle Dave (from Cold Lake, AB) had just walked in the door.

Dad says he's not in any pain in his chest or in his leg where they took the vein to use, but he's exhausted and feels like he's been pulled through a knot hole! The doctors warned him NOT to go home and sit, so he's up and moving around. Apparently in about 6 weeks he'll feel like a new man!

It amazes me that a person can go home less than a week after having his chest pried open and his heart literally lifted out of his chest to replace two arteries with vein from his lower leg! The wonder of the human body that God created and what skill God has given to surgeons and other medical professionals ...
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 1:56 PM

1 Comments:

My Dad called Robert & Lori's on Sunday to see if he could go to the hospital for a visit and your Dad had been discharged already.

I looked at my Mom and said "I'm pretty sure I was in longer having my last baby"!

:0)

Hope he's healing up well!

January 27, 2006 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home