Finding a Voice

Friday, March 07, 2008

it's official: professional writer

------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Colleen,
I'm pleased to tell you that you've been accepted as a professional member of The Word Guild.
Congratulations on all the hard work that brought you here!
I will pop your paperwork in the mail.

Jeanette Duncan
Administrative Assistant
The Word Guild
------------------------------------------------------------

Ask me if I was excited about that email! It means I can be listed on the hire! us pages of The Word Guild's site.

It's kind of ironic that a "professional" writer should feel like she's having trouble finding time to write. But looking at it objectively, I realize that's not true. I just haven't been able to keep up with "1000 word Tuesday" lately. And that's because I've been putting in so much time at the newspaper lately. And the newspaper is the reason why I was able to qualify for professional membership this year. So I will not begrudge time at the newspaper; it is every bit as creative as anything I might do at home.

And if it bothers you that I'm starting so many sentences with "and" ... well, I guess I've earned the right to break a few grammar rules for effect once in awhile.

My most recent favourite writing project for the Last Mountain Times is an article about Little Miss Higgins, a local resident (Nokomis) who has been nominated for a Juno award. Another newspaper, The Watrous-Manitou, noticed the story and asked to reprint it the next week. Of course I said yes!

I tried to attach two images of the article so you could read it. Unfortunately, the images were taking too long to load and I need to go to bed ... maybe I'll take time to upload them tomorrow or Saturday.

Labels: ,

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 12:24 AM

2 Comments:

Congratulations Colleen! I'm so glad for you to be in this creative, productive season.

March 08, 2008 3:37 PM  

Congratulations Colleen: I know how exciting it is to actually be classified as a writer. Keep up the great work!! You Go Girl!!!

March 08, 2008 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home