Finding a Voice

Saturday, March 29, 2008

what is SIRETONA?

About a year and a half ago, the Lord gave me an idea and I have been learning ever since what it means.

When I left Briercrest, the Lord kept reminding me of a phrase someone said to me in 2002 at the Toronto Airport Fellowship: “You will sing release to nations.” So I started working on that phrase, praying over it, dreaming, and invented a new word to name my ministry taking the first 2 letters of each word in Sing Release To Nations: SIRETONA Creative. So far the Lord has shown me that the ministry is to involve worship, intercession/spiritual warfare, and fairly traded products (coffee, dried fruit, sugar). Recently He has been giving me vision for raising money, gathering resources, and coordinating training for indigenous musicians under the umbrella of SIRETONA Creative.

About a month ago I met a couple from Serbia who are Alliance missionaries there. Their son Filip (about 20 years old) is musically gifted and has a vision to bring Christian music to Serbia. Their city, Novi Sad, is the location of Exit, the largest music festival in Europe. But it has no Christian representation that this family is aware of. Filip’s mother, Vera, told me it’s easy to raise money for children’s ministry and cancer hospice, “but nobody wants to give money for a studio.” That got the wheels turning in my mind, so when my parents threw me a big birthday party recently, we decided that in lieu of gifts, people could give donations for the studio. So far we’ve got $380.00, with a bit more expected. I know that barely buys a decent microphone, but it’s a start.

Day before yesterday I watched a video from MCC called “Song of the Refugee” about a Ugandan musician named Samite who is, among other things, using music therapy with AIDS orphans in Africa. One of his projects is taking children who are dying into the studio to sing so they can give a recording to their friends for remembering them after they’re gone. He also arranges donations for small musical instruments like kalimbas (thumb pianos) and flutes. His vision and reach inspired me.

So … my question for you is … would you be interested in getting involved with SIRETONA on some level? Do you know others who would be?

The Serbian studio is the first major project.
There are so many other things I could imagine:
:: having established studios donate equipment for international studios,
:: bands & other performers going to international festivals like Exit,
:: instructors and engineers going over to do workshops, courses and sessions,
:: music therapy,
:: worship in secret and public places that lifts up heads and opens the gates for the King of Glory to come in,
:: and so much more ....

Are you interested in being involved? If SIRETONA attained charitable ministry status, would that make you more interested? I have a possibility for that.

Let me know what you think. Post a comment here, or send a message from my website: www.siretona.com/contact.html.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 10:30 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home