Finding a Voice

Thursday, August 07, 2008

adventures in getting home

The newspaper closes for two weeks in the summer, so I packed them full of fun: helping with teens at family camp, home for two nights, then Caronport, then Spiritwood.

Then the adventure of getting home. Tuesday evening I visited my friend Janina in Saskatoon, left her place around 9:30, and had a flat tire just outside Saskatoon.

Fortunately, I had CAA, so a guy came and changed my tire. Unfortunately, he didn’t wait around, my hazard lights had drained the battery, and I had to flag down a passerby.  

Used Canadian Tire’s Quick Start drop-off feature, and stayed overnight at Janina’s – to the surprised delight of her 8 year old twin girls.

The car was ready by noon the next day – with four brand new tires! Fortunately, it cost less than I expected.

Headed road home again, still within city limits, a knocking sound started under the hood. Another call to CAA. (After nearly a year and a trip to BC, I hadn’t needed it until now!) This tow truck driver, Allen, was very gentlemanly and protective. He suspected the worst – trashed motor. I felt absolutely sick at this thought. He recommended a couple of good garages.

We drove and chatted. Allen was quite interested in Norwex. With his truck like a second home, keeping it clean is a priority! (Apparently, clean cabs are regular conversation for tow truck drivers.) So I gave Allen a Norwex catalogue, recommending the Car Package, Odor Eliminator, and Sportzyme spray. I let him try my Optic cloth, which impressed him. He may end up recommending Norwex to all of his tow truck buddies! My friend Melanie says I should set up for demos at truck stops.

Avalon Auto was backed up to next Thursday, yet the owner looked at my engine. Behold, a mere shredded fan belt! We were going to try Cal Tire, so I asked Allen, “Do you want to call first or just drive over?” Suddenly Avalon could get me in right away. Wow. I wasn’t even trying to pressure, just be efficient. My car was fixed in 30 minutes.

I was able to spend a few hours with Melanie before driving home.

About an hour from home when it became loudly clear that … I need a new MUFFLER!!! Arrrrrgh! This 1995 Chevrolet Geo Metro has been good to me, but its days may be numbered …

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 12:22 AM

3 Comments:

Wow Colleen. I would have been crying by the second issue. Somebody really didn't want you on the highway that night.

love you.
carol

August 08, 2008 11:57 AM  

Or maybe someone wanted me in Saskatoon a little longer. :)

August 08, 2008 12:21 PM  

My goodness! Flat tire, dead battery, new tires, new fan belt and now new muffler! What on earth? Your poor car! But glad you got to stay a little longer : )

August 09, 2008 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home