Finding a Voice

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Dad again

So, Dad went in for a routine follow-up angioplasty on Tuesday morning. Around noon they installed a second stint (which is like a pen spring to widen the artery). Then they realized there was a problem, took him back into surgery around 4:00 and put in four more stints!

Mom phoned her kids and dad's siblings, but that's a lot of people to keep track of, so in all the excitement forgot to call me. I had been wondering, but figured that if it was really bad I would have heard by now so decided not to worry. Finally this morning Mom called me with the update.

On Tuesday Mom went for lunch with her friend Doreen who lost her husband three years ago. "I thought, 'I wonder if I could be a widow,'" Mom said. "Of course I could." You just never know.

I'm okay. There's no reason to worry, really; que sera sera. At the same time, it's very pretty sobering to be faced with mortality, especially of my parents. People younger than me have lost their younger parents. "The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 9:54 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home