Finding a Voice

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Living on the Boundaries

My friend Phil Majorins alerted me today to a new book from InterVarsity Press:

Living on the Boundaries: Evangelical Women, Feminism and the Theological Academy, by
Nicola Hoggard Creegan and Christine D. Pohl. The preface & 1st chapter are available at the IVP Press website.

A couple of years ago at Urbana I was going through a crisis, wondering if it was worth it for women to be in the academy, wondering if it was worth it for ME to stay in the academy and in what capacity. I cried a lot. And I met Christine Pohl. I attended her lecture on hospitality, mostly because Doug Reichel was so excited about her. Later I met with Christine at the Asbury booth and talked with her about women in the academy and about the above book, which was in process. She offered to send me the manuscript. I never did get the MSS for the book, but when I contacted her by email she remembered me and sent the transcript for a paper on this topic that she and Nicola presented at the AAR (American Academy of Religion). I was so heartened by the collegiality and encouragement she gave to me, how she hosted me right there at the Asbury booth.

I am working on a thesis (oral histories of women from the early days of Briercrest) and am contemplating a Ph.D. Several friends are also in or embarking on academic careers: e.g.,
Dale, Shawna, Melanie. This book is particularly timely for us. In fact, it is so timely that I emailed an excerpt to Shawna:

"Our friendship, formed in our first years of formal theological study, has now spanned two decades. In that time we have encouraged one another through the traumas and joys of graduate school, comprehensive exams and dissertation writing, as well as through the challenges of marriage, childrearing and singleness, job searches and job changes, interactions with colleagues, administrators, the guild and church leadership. We have upheld each other through disappointments and significant achievements, wondered together about classroom experiences and family responsibilities. And we have enjoyed decades-long conversations about theology, ethics, feminism, the church, evangelical faith and our experiences as women." (p. 16)

Though we are younger than Christine and Nicola, the friendship between Shawna and I has spanned nearly two decades already, beginning with our theological education at
Briercrest in the 80s. Though infrequent, usually brief, and sometimes unexpected, our times together are always rich and galvanizing for pursuing the call that God has placed upon our lives and using the gifts we have been given for His kingdom.
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 11:55 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home