Finding a Voice

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

history of women at Briercrest: archiving

An exciting opportunity has opened up.

A few weeks ago I received invitation from the Chester Ronning Centre to become a junior research associate to establish an archive for the history of women at Briercrest. This would extend the work begun with my thesis: Oral Histories of Women from the Early Days of Briercrest.

Last week I had planned a trip to Caronport, and suddenly realized that it might be good to chat with some key people about a potential partnership between Briercrest and the Ronning Centre. So after some back and forth discussion, a meeting was set for Friday morning at 9:00 with several professors (especially history), two librarians, and the president.

The meeting went well. We discussed the importance of this historical archive for Briercrest, how they can assist me in making it available to scholars at Briercrest College & Seminary, and what partnership with the Ronning Centre should look like.

It was a most collegial and fruitful conversation, yet I had a mix of feelings: the comfort of being in a room full of friends, yet self-consciousness about going to this next level of scholarship (who me?).

But they were all so supportive. Two years ago I had the vision for this project, and I even pitched it to the president and the academic dean -- not asking for money, but for space (even just a study carrel) and institutional resources and some kind of status like researcher-in-residence. They basically said Briercrest wasn't ready for a formal relationship, though they would be encouraging and supportive as I finished my thesis.

Looking back I see that they were right: Briercrest wasn't ready -- and neither was I. Unfortunately, I fear I was slightly belligerent about it back then. But NOW seems to be God's timing for it.

So I'm leaving here with a key to a seminary carrel in the library (office space) and all the encouragement and promise of resources to champion Briercrest's archives, to define my project, to pursue funding, to bring in Dr. David Goa at some point for a workshop or conference on the archives in general, to train students for field research, etc., etc., etc. The sky is the limit. Neither Briercrest nor the Ronning Centre have money at this point, but they both have the means to seek funding. It's amazing to think of the possibilities.

In the short time since Friday morning, many conversations have confirmed that this is a door the Lord is opening. At the same time, I feel very called to stay in Duval with my brother Jeffrey, and in Strasbourg where I work at the newspaper and am part of the Alliance church. So the question will be how to balance and fulfill my commitments to my brother (pottery, arts), to the newspaper, and to the church. I work 2-3 days a week for the newspaper, so I can imagine going to Caronport for 2-4 days every few weeks to do research for the summer and set up my own office space in the current archives so I can give up the study carrel for a seminary student in autumn.

I came home blissfully exhausted … and facing responsibilities ...
So, if you would keep praying and providing feedback, that would be fantastic!

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 5:42 PM

1 Comments:

Wow, cool! I've heard David Goa speak in Vancouver, and he's great.

May 06, 2008 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home