Finding a Voice

Friday, August 29, 2008

new Hockey Night in Canada theme

Hello all,
My former colleague, Derek From, has an entry in the contest to write the new theme for Hockey Night in Canada.
Derek engineered and played on my CD. But that's not why I gave his entry a strong vote. I believe this song has the energy and urgency that the HNiC theme needs. It also has a variety of sound bytes that should appeal to all levels of HNiC production: intros, outros, playbacks, interviews, etc. It hooks the listener immediately and builds anticipation.











I rated it highly and I hope you will, too!

p.s. He's a grad of Caronport High School and Briercrest College ...

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 6:15 PM

2 Comments:

Hmm not bad!
Martha Marten's and I were discussing this contest and she felt most of the entries missed the singable melody the old theme had. Sadly, I feel Derek is missing this too. It's got a great rhythmic hook, but is also quite minor sounding to me which evokes more antagonistic and battle-like emotions than excitement and anticipated victory that the old theme did. But that's just my overly critical snobby musical oppion that hasn't written a theme herself, so you don't have to take my word for anything.
;)

August 29, 2008 7:00 PM  

More like a wrestling show piece, kind of repetitious, but a nice bit of music and certainly a good attempt. I wish him all the best.

August 31, 2008 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home