Finding a Voice

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

what you are lies with you

A few weeks ago I started reading a book to my Grandma. It is one of her favourites. In chapter three we came upon this quotation, and I have read it several times since:

And remember this. What you are lies with you. If you are lazy, and accept your lot, you may live in it. If you are willing to work, you can write your name anywhere you choose, among the only ones who live past the grave in this world. The people who write books that help, make exquisite music, carve statues, paint pictures, and work for others. Never mind the calico dress, and the coarse shoes. Dig into the books, and before long you will hear yesterday's tormentors boasting that they were once classmates of yours."

-
from Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 4:46 PM

1 Comments:

Hey Colleen ...I'm bragging I was once a classmate of yours! Saw your name in a book of Brad Jersak I'm reading... You are living your work!
Remember the "When I'm old I'll wear purple with a red hat" poem? Recently met the red hat ladies at a tea... They're all seniors that dress in purple and wear red hats when they go out together and laugh and tell jokes and build into each other's lives - giving joy to everyone around. You are a "red hat" lady and haven't even made 40 yet (or have you?). Keep pressing on to grow. You inspire me.
Renee

July 03, 2007 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home