Finding a Voice

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Strawberry Bread

A few weeks ago we had lots of strawberries in our fridge, with many starting to go bad, so Jeffrey asked, “Can you do something with those?”

 

Do something? I thought. Maybe. So I went to www.allrecipes.com, a wonderful website introduced to me by my friend Kim. Sure enough, there were several recipes with strawberries, including one for Strawberry Bread, which looked reasonable.  I used whole-wheat flour instead of all-purpose and natural can sugar instead of white.

 

Not only was it reasonable, it was scrumptious! Jeffrey said it was some of the best baking he’s had.

 

Last week when friends came for the afternoon and evening, we had one of them bring us more strawberries, expressly for more of the yummy bread. Unfortunately, we had run out of vegetable oil (canola), so I substituted olive oil. Still tasty, but not quite as good as before. Immediately the next day I bought more canola oil to have on hand. Note to self: try not to run out of regular cooking oil.

 

Even though the olive oil batch wasn’t quite as good as the first round, Jeffrey was still proud enough to enthusiastically offer some to a guest. J

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 8:44 AM

2 Comments:

That does sound good! Isn't it true that sometimes we find the best recipes when we're simply trying to use something up?

May 18, 2008 6:53 PM  

I checked out your strawberry bread recipe and I am going to try it. Please feel free to post a comment on my blog page. Margaret in Michigan

May 29, 2008 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home