Finding a Voice

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

summer reading: One Smooth Stone

I heard Marcia Lee Laycock speak at Write! Saskatoon and picked up her novel at the book table. Parts of One Smooth Stone felt comfortable to me, set in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver and Seattle) and Canada (Vancouver and the Yukon). Yet it was the disturbing elements that kept me reading.

Why is Alex Donnelly living so far away from anywhere else? What is he hiding? What happened to his parents? How can a young person survive so much loss and grief, abuse and pain? Who, exactly, are these people helping him? How can any of the many tangled elements be resolved?

And the ending. Oh, the ending! I left me anxious for a sequel. So I wrote to Marcia with some of my questions (which I can’t list, because they’d spoil things for you). But I can tell you her answer about a next book:

“Yes, there is indeed a sequel in the works and I’m working on it now. Whether or not it is published depends greatly on how well the first book does, so please pray that the sales are strong and my publisher will agree to do the sequel.”

There’s another cliffhanger: sequel in the works depends on sales. Buy this book … and spur Castle Quay on to the next one.

Read the first chapter and download a trailer here.

posted by Colleen McCubbin at 9:30 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home