Finding a Voice

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

in-flight magazine

On the Air Canada flight from Regina to Toronto, I gleaned these tidbits from the May En Route magazine. Mom would have liked this one about hotel etiquette:

My advice. What are the dos and don'ts when preparing to check out of a hotel? Your reputation is built in public places, which include hotels. The fact that you're paying for the service is no excuse for leaving your room looking like a pigsty. Common sense dictates that cigarette butts go in the ashtray and makeup swabs in hte wastebasket; simple courtesy dictates that you give the bedding a cursory tidying up in the morning. I should like to dissuade the more absent-minded among you from "accidentally" putting away the hotel's bathrobe, towels or silverware in your luggage. Lastly, remember to leave an envelope with a little something on the dresser or the pillow for housekeeping, who have so diligently seen to the cleanliness of the room. (Louise Masson, p. 30)

Of course, cigarette butts are not an issue for me, and mom has always emphasized leaving a room as tidy as possible. But truthfully, it has never occurred to me to tip the largely invisible housekeepers. Hmmm. Bellhops, yes, but maids, no. (Except for the first bellhop I ever encountered in a Hong Kong hotel on my first trip to Taiwan. The little guy nearly collapsed--or at least acted like he might--under the weight of my luggage, and I didn't realize I should tip him. But then I was very young and inexperienced, so it's forgivable. I was also so disoriented and jet-lagged that I nearly drowned myself falling asleep in the tub that night!) I'll keep housekeeping in mind next time I stay in a hotel.

Another interesting bit is about books, airports and travel:

"Books," wrote Anthony Powell, "do furnish a room." The erudite English novelist was, as any interior designer will verify, quite right, but books also define an airport. In the world of modern travel, where little is memorable or even ceremonial, there are few things as ritualistic and satisfying to me as a visit to the airport bookstore. (Dominic Patten, p. 59)

Patten goes on to explain his family's "tradition ... to treat yourself to a new book before boarding a flight," which has led to many delightful discoveries!

What an appealing tradition. I have discovered one gem that way: The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan, purchase in Regina before a recruiting trip for ELIC. With many fond memories of reading on planes, I like this idea. Spring Moon by Bette Bao Lord stands out in my mind, and more recently, articles on in-depth interviewing and a book on qualitative research for my thesis: oral histories of women involved in the early days of Briercrest Bible Institute. The last two might not sound gripping, but really I found them quite stimulating in light of my research.
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 12:34 AM

2 Comments:

Great to hear your stories Colleen - I hope you keep this blog up. We should go for coffee this summer! :) Rachel.

July 06, 2005 1:33 PM  

Hi Colleen, I'm enjoying your blog. So true about hotel etiquette & tipping.

The part about books being furniture for a room brought back the recollection of a poem I wrote about Mrs. Dennis years ago. Do you remember her at all. She was a former teacher who had a love for books and learning. She lived in a very small house and was not noted for her house-keeping, but she was noted for helping students and others find the answers to their questions.
I can't remember the whole poem, but I'll give you what I can remember.

"I have a friend who lives alone
Yet, not alone is she.
For her small house is filled with books -
The best of company!

The rest of the poem was about how she would search for hours on end to find the answers to the queries of a friend.

I hope I still have it tucked away somewhere.

I must get back to work on stuff for the Homecoming.

Love Mom




July 19, 2005 6:35 PM

July 19, 2005 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home