Finding a Voice

Friday, July 08, 2005

dance dance wherever you may be

Canada Day, July 1st

Saw Great Big Sea in Wascana Park, Regina.

Went with an unusual mix of people: Shiloh (a college girl who went to high school with my cousin), Annie and Daniel (seminary students from Korea, no relation to one another). Met up in Regina with Shiloh's mom, brother, sister, and a sister's friend. Arrived in Regina around 3:00 and waited almost an hour at the Golden Mile Mall for the free city bus. Worked our way through the crowd and found a spot behind the sound stage of the main stage just minutes before Theresa Sokyrka's set started. Unfortunately, we couldn't see a thing until someone rolled up the poster on the chain link fence around the sound stage, giving us a pretty decent direct view of the bands.

Daniel looked a bit confused sometimes and asked questions like, "This is just one day?" and "Is anything else happening today?" and "Saskatchewan is 100 years old? ... That's not very old." Ah, cross-cultural experiences.

Theresa Sokyrka is Canada's sweetheart these days. Maybe a bit too cute, yet endearing and thoroughly engaged with her audiences. It will be interesting to watch her career evolve. She was followed by The Waltons, Kenny Shields & Streetheart, k-os, and Great Big Sea. Earlier in the day I was talking with my friend and said that I couldn't remember Streetheart. That, I realized later, was in true. I just didn't remember that they were the band that did the single "What Kind Of Love Is This?" (1982), among others. So much for listening diligently to the top 40 countdown while writing schmaltzy poetry at the age of 14. Then there's k-os. Truly, I had never heard of k-os, much to Shiloh's shock. They put on a good show. But the real show I was looking for was Great Big Sea. We packed up our things to make for a quick get-away and to make room for dancing. Oh the jigs and reels! Someday I'd like to sing "Sea of No Cares" with a group at a coffeehouse or something--the harmonies are brilliant.

SAD
My entourage decided we should beat the crowd for the fireworks and leave early. Shiloh assured me authoritatively, "This is their last song. They always do this song last at their concerts." Sadly believing her, I followed. But it wasn't their last song. They did another rollicking tune, so we stopped to dance a bit more, then continued on our way. Then they did another, and my heart sank. Then another ... I complained bitterly. "This is the band we came to see and we're missing them!" Sigh.

HAPPY
My highlight of the evening: some guy in a brown t-shirt appeared out of the crowd, took my hand and twirled me around for the better part of one song. I laughed and laughed and laughed, and sometimes yelled, "I don't know what to do!" Then he said, "I've got to go up front," and disappeared into the crowd. I got to say thank you, but didn't ask his name.

Maybe it was Jesus. :-)
posted by Colleen McCubbin at 4:12 PM

1 Comments:

bj says somewhere in his book that we can look at our lives and think "If this was a dream what would it mean?" I like that idea - that we can interpret the events of our lives like signs and messages from God. Stay alert! The Lord wants to speak with you and draw near.

July 08, 2005 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home